Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wed 3:40 pm

I sent a text to my mom and my brother ... "dad just said hi to me"

Brenna and I came into his room today and he looked up right at the both of us, and said "HI."  We had heard that he said "hi" on Saturday, but he has been doing kind of poorly mentally since then, and to tell you the truth I had really abandoned hope.  Not the hope I had in healing, or God at work, or miracles; but when you have experienced so much suffering, and you just assume God won't answer your prayers the way you want them, well I have just been preparing for the worst since the day dad got sick.  And the Internet is not filled with the most hopeful information.

For about an hour I talked with dad as he kind of faded in and out of sleep.  I called all my brothers, Brenna, Mom, and Calvin and put them on speaker and was amazed by his alertness and his mouthing of words.  He smiled several times through that hour, and shook his head yes a few times as well.  When I called my brother Mike, he perked up tons.  When Mike said, "I love you dad," He very obviously mouthed the words back "I love you."

The staff here at his rehab facility is fantastic!  They are compassionate, aggressive in their treatment, and very hopeful.  It was a rocky start here, but today renewed my faith and hope in full recovery.

Thank you all for your constant prayers.  Today was a good day.

Bryan

2 comments: